[StBernard] Condemnation/Mitigation Issues

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 2 09:57:01 EST 2006

Craig, there are no public insults aimed toward us unless one feels the need
to render such. Everyone who is a fixture of the community has the challenge
to make st. Bernard parish a better place to live.

Again, there are no angels (although there is a myriad of good people)
within its boundaries. The solutions are at best, *borderline ok*. They seem
to fall way short of what is needed to revitalize the area. If this was NOT
true, then EVERYONE would be back after 4 months. But, they're not because
they feel the ANSWERS are not given, the problems are too massive to wish
away and it seems that, unless drasticity is taken upon by the politicians
and inhabitants, things are not going to be acceptable. Many of us do not
have ONE good solution, but as many here have outline ideas, any one of
those could survive on its own merit.

It doesn't matter if you have a family, as everyone does. The difference is
that elected officials have their duty to perform or someone else there has
to pick up the baton to the end of the race to survive. More over, the
others are not part of government(s) solution. If the Baker plan does not
happen, then you can expect St. Bernard to be a fraction of its size by
2010. Almost 1/4 will return, and that estimate, perhaps is questionable as
to whether the government(s) can convince the populace and evacuees that
"all is right, come on back" or that their future is secure in St. Bernard,
beyond saying "Everyone is back and they must know what they are doing!".

Being negative is relative to the situation. We're dealing with a hoard of
depressed, homeless, deprived, forgotten, crapped upon and poor people. What
will turn around this are not parties or festivals in the "bowl" which the
parish is situated. There are lots of dangers there begin to risk one's life
and property over and over again.

Again, it's not personal. But, it merits a lot of fact and brevity in the
parish's situation. It's an experience no person in their right mind would
want to rehappen on regular basis. Storm cycles are getting worse. How many
more gutted homes must we endure before we're placed in insane asylums? A
hurricane destroyed our dreams and hopes. Rebuilding under the same or very
little improvement will not assure the populace that "all is Ok". It WILL
happen again, not IF it will happen. Let's talk about it again in 10 - 20
years.

For many, "the winds are out of their sails". "There's no guarantee in
life". Whatever analogy or metaphor we wish to place a face upon it, the
reality is this: Quality of life is based upon one being secure and happy in
life. If either one is missing, life in tolerable and satisfactory form is
not whole.

While MRGO, levee protection for CAT5 and proper planning of our community
is not 100% to satisfaction, we're going to face this over and over. Trust
me.

No response to this is necessary as it is an opinion of one and nor a rumor,
like much of how I will define one..but from one who has been screwed and
tatooed in oh, so many ways.

---Stepping away----

Jer.