[StBernard] Miami University of Ohio Women's Basketball Team Donates to St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 2 22:11:12 EST 2006

Cindi Merrill, guard and captain of this year's Miami University of Ohio
women's basketball team, had a chance last year with other upcoming seniors
to choose a city where they wanted to play.

"We picked New Orleans,'' said the RedHawks' returning leading scorer. Now
that she and he 5-5 RedHawks are here to play Tulane Monday night, she's
glad because she wanted to visit firsthand the devastating destruction of
Hurricane Katrina.

"It good to see things in person'' instead of through the perspective of
television or a newspaper, Merrill said. "I'll never forget the things we've
seen. I wish we could do more.''

But Merrill, her teammates and Coach Maria Fantanarosa, who came to St.
Bernard Parish on Monday, were able to help the parish's recovery by
bringing numerous items of clothing, food and sportswear collected back home
in Oxford, Ohio, for distribution in Chalmette. Team members donated goods
as well as fans.

And for coincidence, Karen Womack, associate athletic director for Miami -
who was the first women's basketball coach at Tulane from 1974-80 - is back
to see her RedHawks play Tulane for the first time since she left the Uptown
school.

"It's sad to see the beauty of the city'' damaged by the hurricane, Womack
said. "But I think over time the city will come back.'' Womack also said she
is glad Tulane "is back and able to play on campus.''

The traveling squad met Monday with St. Bernard Parish President Henry
"Junior'' Rodriguez, who told them, "We appreciate what you are doing''
through the donations. "It means a lot to us.'' He also said the small Ohio
town of St. Bernard had recently collected more than $2,500 for St. Bernard
Parish hurricane relief.

Then, standing outside his travel trailer that doubles as a home and office
behind the parish government building, Rodriguez told the RedHawks,
"Visualize that where you are standing now you'd be under water'' during
Katrina.

He also gave Coach Fantanarosa the symbolic key to the parish.

"We will leave here and share our stories with our families and friends''
and try to convey to them the work that still needs to be done, Fantanarosa
said.

Afterward, the coach said she is sure coming to see St. Bernard and New
Orleans are experiences the women will keep with them forever.

"It's a sobering experience,'' said Vince Frieden, the school's media
relations official.