[StBernard] address for return of forms

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jan 7 16:37:58 EST 2006

"2. who decides what needs to be removed. i only had about 4 feet of water,
so ceilings and top kitchen cabinets should be fine, will they take this
into acount?
Make sure you write specifically on the form IN BOLD LETTERING
IN RED INK what items or furniture you do not want removed. I am not sure
that the crews will be measuring walls to take out sheet rock, but if
ceilings were not damaged they obviously will not be taking out ceilings.If
it is not damaged, and you identify it, the crews will work around it as
best possible. Items that you want to save and that can be moved out,
should be moved out as much as possible ahead of time. Make a copy of the
form before you send it in."

***Craig, your statement is contradictory to what Clay has told me/possibly
others.

"The Right of Entry Agreement for Residential/Commercial Hazard Removal on
Private Property" states:

_____________________________________

"Removal of debris within the structure that are considered health and sfety
hazards to include, without limitation, overturned and displaced furniture
and miscellaneous household item, sediment from the flooding, wall and
ceiling coverings, insulation, cabinetry, and all other items within the
structure that may be health and safety hazards due to their instability
and/or contamination with all types of mold and bacteria to also include the
remediation of all hazardous mold within the structure and certification tat
the hazardous mold has been completely removed."

"By this authorization, I/we state that ALL PERSONAL EFFECTS OF VALUE TO THE
RESIDENTS/OWNERS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE PROPERTY. Further, I/We
understand that the Parish is not obligated to remove health and safety
hazards from the aforsaid property and that any itmes that are removed under
this program are recognized to be unsafe and/or health hazards"

_____________________________________

**The procedures for Hazard Removal states:

"We advise any owner WHO IS HAVING HAZARDS REMOVED TO PLEASE REMOVE ANYTHING
OF VALUE OUT OF THE STRUCTURE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, OUR STAFF WILL BE
PROCESSING THESE REQUEST AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE AND SENDING THEM TO PUBLIC
WORKS OFFICE FOR SCHEDULING..."
_______________________________________

According to that office I called, citizens will have NO control of items
left there. This is construed to mean that if you wish any items to be saved
during their visit, the items should be removed from the home, otherwise the
remaining stuff would be left at the descretion of the volunteers to do
their good job and throw out/remove items.

Therefore, we need to know why there is division/no consensus among you and
Clay as to which statement is truth. I personally would not trust crews
coming in and saving when their aim is to clean up. Clay did not mention to
me that whatever is left would be saved. We need definitive answers as if I
say in writing: "Leave my wall cabinet and front $600 foyer table and they
throw out "the baby with the bathwater"/stuff I specified, homeowners will
be pi$$ed and open a new law suit.

Therefore, THAT is probably why Clay thought responsibility for items left
would be at the descretion of the owner to make a decision to get his/her
stuff away from the home firstly.

Your idea would be nice if it wasn't a litigous society, but people do get
touchy and want certainty and not receive two different orders as to what
will happen. Sorry to confuse you/the st. Bernard Citizens, but this does
worry me.

Thanks, Jer.