[StBernard] KATRINA SURVIVORS: Untold Stories

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 8 17:20:51 EST 2006

Yes..., lady...~!~~

A major problem is that some are sick and tired of watching us be sick and
tired. Yes, some people can be so hardened with "positivity" that it blinds
them to the compassion that to MANY, major catastrophes that we've
experienced take very, very long (ask Craig or my son who's in the same line
of work <G>)..

Some have resorted to mental health facilities, medication and counseling as
a consequence of their tragedy beyond how they can control things.
Understanding is a huge part of the healing process. Not everyone made out
OK financially or emotionally, so I say if they cannot compassionally deal
with us..we'll do what we have to do to overcome ridicule and prejudice
against our efforts to survive. Just because we survived the storm 'does not
mean' we survived its aftermath fully and securely.

Ventilation, no matter what expression it takes makes us feel a little more
whole again.

Jer

Dear Mudpie, Most people need moral support more than anything else..
there are many that do need financial help....and well deserved...since our
own government failed to keep us safe from something that they knew was a
very good possibility of happening...as it has...happened...not even to have
cat 3 protection...as we thought...you are correct in saying that people
don't get it...and for these people...who "don't get it"...like your friend
in Chicago...I have an open ivitation for them to come and see for
themselves...come see why...so many people cannot begin to get on with their
lives... it certainly isn't because we don't want to...personnaly losing my
home, possessions, and my job...doesn't quite hurt as much as hearing people
make smug remarks about people from St. Bernard...and the whining about
Katrina still...We are on the Northshore...it seems as though most of these
people hate us...the attitude of pick yourself up dust yourself off is
great...however it just isn't as easy as most people think...as you said it
isn't in their back ya
rd...so who cares anymore...I wish we could get someone to play footage of
the water...and the boat rescues...and footage of St. Bernard Parish looking
as if a bomb has gone off in every neighborhood....footage of lines of
people trying to get trailers, food, and
supplies...people...still...fighting for insurance money....would they get
it then...again the invitation stands...come and see for themselves....then
maybe they will get it!
Carol Hingle