[StBernard] KATRINA SURVIVORS: Untold Stories

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 9 17:32:26 EST 2006

While cleaning out my house in Chalmette yesterday a tour bus (not Gary
Lines) came through. While we were in line for Red Cross meals, the bus
came through again. I guess the driver saw our shocked looks & stopped to
say she knew a lady on our street and she told her that the bus could come
through to see the destruction caused by MRGO. A man was even taking
pictures of my friend getting her Red Cross lunch. Why ? I replied "The only
way people are really going to comprehend the destruction is to see it for
themselves." Pictures and stories from others do not truly show the
magnitude of devastation. You have to see it for yourself. The issue that
I have is that only $3.00 of the $28 - $35 fee goes to a Katrina fund (Who
benefits from this fund ? I doubt if I will ever see any of it.) I read
somewhere that it seems as if the rest of the country has forgotten about us
& our plight. It's not just the rest of the country, it is our neighboring
parishes. I am in Kenner & most people here don't even realize ( don't want
to realize) that our plight still goes on. If Katrina had moved just a few
miles to the west, Jefferson would have been in our shoes & not just
experiencing a few inches of water caused by pumps not being on. I hope
that they realize how blessed they have been. But on another note, I would
like to recognize the wonderful volunteers and military who have helped our
parish. While volunteering for the Relief Spark Christmas party, I heard
one young man say he was from Los Angeles and this was his second trip back.
These are the ones who go back & tell others our true delimma. May God
bestow many, many blessings on these angels sent to us.

Syl