[StBernard] Baker Plan in Flux

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 18 11:26:23 EST 2006

And what is someone who lost everything, home, job, cars, home and community

suppossed to do with $40,000 to start their life over with after they have
worked for 35 years to build a life? That might seem like a lot of money to
you, but it's not, especially if you are an older person near retirement,
you are expected to start over with $40,000? And if you had a business in
St. Bernard, which I did, and lost that too, you now have no income to pay
this lone you are talking about. I'm not saying it's fair or not fair, I
just think everyone lost and everyone should be included. You sound jealous
of people that had State Farm. I had State Farm, and not the limits you
speak of and let me tell you, it was not that easy to get paid from them,
and I didn't get my limits on flood, they acutally took off 1/3 for
depreciation. And I had to list everything I owed, 14 pages long. In any
event I don't think my flood insurance payment was courtesy of the federal
government as you put it. I paid my premiums for years to try to protect
myself and my family, they only paid me what they were legally responsible
for paying and not a penny more, they didn't "give" me anything. We had a
contract for which I paid a premium. I am grateful that I had flood
insurance and I am sorry for people that didn't have flood insurance and I
feel for them. But not all people with flood insurance had this windfall or
made out like a bandit as you seem to think. Most people that lived in St.
bernard love St. Bernard and want to come back. They are not going to walk
away because they got some money, they may have to walk away if they are not

included in this Baker Bill because they can't afford to stay.

Laurie