[StBernard] Levee Design

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 25 12:23:18 EST 2006

Deborah Keller wrote:

Also a factor in levee height is wave run up. In some geographic areas
the Corps assumes that the water will be still, such as an inland
canal, and in other areas there would be a wind driven wave running up
the bankline or shoreline, so the levee protection has to be a little
higher to take that into account and stronger to take the force of
impact from a wave.

As a civil engineer, I'd prefer if we would all stop talking about
categories of Saffir-Simpson and be specific about the actual design
central pressure, max. sustained wind speed, storm surge, wind
pressure, STORM PATH, and SPEED OF THE STORM ACROSS THE AREA.

Also, the creators of Saffir-Simpson said after Katrina, that these
were approximations and that perhaps they need to re-think the numbers
that fall in each category. In other words, maybe a Cat 3 storm
produces storm surges greater t han 18 feet.

********************

Ms Keller,

Don't know if you saw the article on nola.com about the levees at Michoud
and how those levees worked during the storm at that NASA facility.

Speaking as an engineer, do you think it was more the "armoring" of the
levees there or the ability to have working pumps and operators that kept
those pumps going?

We know there is no money in the budget for the armoring of the levees on
the St. Bernard side. All we're gonna get is what we had before. That
being said, I think the more professionals we can get to voice an opinion
on this might better serve our argument that we need this done on the St.
Bernard side also.

Jim York
jaywhy321 at yahoo.com