[StBernard] Corps of Engineers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 25 12:22:57 EST 2006

Craig wrote:

Terry and Jer,

Your concerns are right on target and very much part of the arguments
that
we continue to make. The levee height is tied to congressional
authorization which is based on modeling of protection needs. The Cat
3 ht.
is woefully inadequate (obviously) but it is what has been authorized
for
now. We continue to fight for more plus the addition of storm surge
protection, additional levee construction and the whole MRGO closure.

I don't think the Netherlands design is the best for us, but the
concept of
gates to assist in the flood control is an important part of the
solution.
As far as the governor's task force plan to place a gate in New Orleans
that
will undoubtedly sacrifice St. bernard is unfathomable that it is even
considered.

We are with you. Now we just need to convince the governor and the
congre ss.

Craig

Did I read this correctly? Where the HAIL did she/this task force come up
with this idea. Can someone point me to a nola.com article, WWL website
addy, government addy or something? If that is the case, then they are
making the parish the sacrificial lamb of the area for the next storm.

Can we start an email campaign or something?

If there is info on this already please excuse. I'm catching up on reading
Wes' emails in digest form.

Jim York
jaywhy321 at yahoo.com