[StBernard] Gov. Blanco's response to President's comments on Louisiana's housing plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 26 19:09:07 EST 2006

Gov. Blanco's response to President's comments on La.'s housing plan

"President Bush said today that he will not support additional funds to
assist in the recovery of Louisiana because 'the plan for Louisiana hasn't
come forward yet.' In fact, Louisiana has a well-designed bipartisan plan
for reconstruction that the White House doesn't want to accept and very
publicly rejected just Tuesday.

"That plan, approved by a large majority in a House committee, was sponsored
by Republican Congressman Richard Baker and is supported by all members of
the Louisiana delegation. It would enable Louisiana homeowners to avoid
foreclosure and will prevent widespread suffering and financial ruin by
Louisiana homeowners who simply put their faith in the integrity of levees
built by the U.S. Government. The White House approach would only help one
out of ten homeowners in Louisiana whose homes were destroyed or severely
damaged.

"Administration officials do not understand the suffering of the people of
Louisiana. If they did, the president could not reject a bipartisan plan
that enjoys widespread support in Louisiana and in Congress. I believe that
Congressman Baker's plan could be modified to meet the president's concerns
and still serve the devastated people of Louisiana. Despite the president's
rejection of the Baker bill, I will continue to work with Congressman Baker
and other members of our congressional delegation to change the president's
mind."

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org