[StBernard] Arbitration

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 27 06:56:03 EST 2006

I have applied for arbitration in Mississippi, this is what I'm planning to
do. Get an opinion from a structual engineer, it may cost $200 or $300 but
will be worth it. Tell him what you are trying to do in regards to your
windstorm. (I'm assuming that is what you are trying to collect on, I have
State Farm too). Get estimates for your damage from an independent
contractor. Tell him that you are going to arbitration and you disagree with

your insurance company's estimates. Ask him to be as generous as possible,
honest of course, but the insurance company will always try to pay less so
it's better for your estimate to be on the high side of what is considered
reasonable. Don't rely on your adjuster's opinion of what repairs will cost.

Bring your adjuster's paperwork only to show how inadequate it is. He works
for them so you need someone working for you. If you are trying to prove
wind storm damage, I don't think it would be a good idea to show pictures of

storm surge. You want to tell them and try to prove you have wind damage and

that things were already damaged by the time the water came the next day.
Pictures of the damage and video would be good if it is proof of wind
damage, like trees snapped and window broken. This is all assuming you are
trying to prove wind. Don't bring pictures of water damage if it is wind
damage money you are trying to collect. Also, some things to try to include
that I was able to get paid on for my house in Meraux: doors and the locks
that were broken into by searchers, paint on the house, mold growing on
area's that didn't have water like the ceilings and walls above the water
line. I told them that this clearly showed that rain water must have leaked
or been driven into the house. Include contents above the water line (rain
must have damaged them) contents in your attic, fences, push the issue, they

had to blow down before the water could make them float away. I don't think
the law allows them to say, well we are not going to pay for anything below
the water line before they even come and inspect your property, if you were
told that, like I was by my adjuster, that is bad faith on the insurance
company's part to tell their adjuster's that blanket statement. The law says

they have to act in good faith. If your roof was leaking or had a hole in it

like my dad's, you could say the rain water entered first so therefore your
house was already damaged by the time the flood water arrived. I hope this
helps, this is just the things I'm trying, if anyone else has any
suggestions for me, please tell me. Or if I'm wrong on some of my thinking,
tell me. I also would go dressed nicely, like if you were going to testify
in court. Your want to make a good impression. Any other suggestions?

Laurie