[StBernard] Update From State Representative Nita Rusich Hutter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 2 21:08:43 EST 2006

Update From State Representative Nita Rusich Hutter

February 2, 2006

----

Governor Blanco issues call for special session:

Governor Kathleen Blanco recently announced that a special session of the
Louisiana Legislature to continue the hurricane recovery measures is
scheduled to begin on Monday, February 6, 2006.

"In this call for a special legislative session, I have put forth a clear
path for continued recovery that will build upon the progress made during
the last session. To protect our neighborhoods, we must reorganize southeast
Louisiana's levee boards and call for continued accountability. To get
displaced families back in their homes, we must provide housing assistance
and long-term solutions. To better serve citizens, we must streamline New
Orleans government.

"Our success calls for leadership. I will join House and Senate leaders to
help our communities and our families restore their lives.

"I will also ask these leaders to join me to tour the New Orleans-area
region after the opening session in Baton Rouge. I know many legislators
have toured Louisiana's devastated coast to see first hand the massive
recovery efforts that are underway. If we are called to encourage economic
progress, educational vitality, and quality healthcare, then our leadership
must be united and personally involved in the struggle to lead this state
toward healing and prosperity. That evening, following the tour, the
Legislature will convene in New Orleans for a brief special joint meeting,
including my opening address.

"Following the 12-day special session, I will invite members of the
Legislature to do a continued tour of the areas of southwestern Louisiana
that were so severely damaged by Hurricane Rita. And, again, we will
continue unifying our efforts to lead Louisiana before the regular session."

To view the call items please click:

http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/Proclamations/2006/Pro.NO.12.KBB.2006
.pdf

http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/Proclamations/2006/Pro.NO.13.KBB.2006