[StBernard] Ask Westley! Update: Opt Out of Murphy Oil Class Action Suit

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 2 21:28:45 EST 2006

Denise,

If you have not settled with Murphy nor filed your own suit against Murphy
and your property is within the oil spill then you are considered a member
of the class. The tricky part is going to be the extent of the spill area.

Naturally Murphy will try to keep it as small as possible while Torres, et
al, will try to enlarge it as much as possible. Judge Fallon has stated
that he believes the current map will change, he just doesn't know in which
direction.

In ten years, when this suit is finally settled, I would expect that Torres
will use the largest map that Judge Fallon accepts at any point during the
proceedings, even if they eventually fall off the "final" map to give those
residents a token free gallon of gas. For those that remain on the final
map, they will get a few more free gallons of gas, while Torres collects
several million dollars in fees (you don't expect him to settle for free
gas).

What I find interesting is that he is will to lend his name out to sign up
residents to join the class, but you never see a mention of him in any
newspaper articles about the case. Perhaps he is just riding on the coat
tails of out-of-town firms that specialize in class-action suits.

Westley