[StBernard] St. Bernard President's Washington Trip

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 6 00:39:28 EST 2006

St. Bernard President's Washington Trip

February 5 , 2006

By: Steve Cannizaro

----

More money could be forthcoming "but they will make us beg,'' Rodriguez said

After a three-day trip to Washington, D.C., that included rounds of talks
with leaders of both parties, St. Bernard Parish President Henry "Junior''
Rodriguez said he came away believing there will be more money forthcoming
to rebuild areas destroyed by Hurricane Katrina but some congressmen still
need to be sold on the idea that St. Bernard and New Orleans can be rebuilt
in a way that protects them in the future.

"I think we'll get the money but they will make us beg,'' said Rodriguez,
who was in Washington with Parish Council member Craig Taffaro Jr. and
Charles Reppel, Special Assistant to Rodriguez. "It will be a slow
process.''

Rodriguez, along with Plaquemines Parish President Benny Rousselle and St.
Tammany Parish President Kevin Davis, attended President Bush's State of the
Union address Jan. 31 but said he was disappointed there was so little said
about Katrina. "There is a lot of pomp and circumstance. Everybody who is
anybody is there.''

The St. Bernard delegation met with representatives of the Federal Emergency
Management Agency, Louisiana's congressional delegation and other members of
both political parties to tell them about the parish's post Katrina
situation.

"It was a productive trip,'' Rodriguez said. From his meetings he said it
was evident, "The attitude is we'll help you build back but you will have
to do certain things to get help, like come up with a plan,'' Rodriguez
said. He said it also seemed congressional leaders don't want to put forth a
lot of money to rebuild levees and other areas unless it's clear they can
handle future storms.

Also, many people in Washington express a reservation about sending money to
the state because of perceived corruption in Louisiana politics, Rodriguez
said.

"Everyone talks about corruption. I got sick of hearing it,'' Rodriguez
said. "I had to remind them we're here (in Washington) only because their
levees weren't built correctly'' and couldn't protect Louisiana, he said.

Rodriguez also said that for years he has supported the kind of action Gov.
Blanco threatened last week when she warned federal officials the state
wouldn't support future offshore lease sales in the Gulf of Mexico unless
Louisiana gets a share of the federal royalties generated by oil production
there.

"What she said was an excellent idea,'' Rodriguez said. "I think we need to
go further but it's a beginning.'' The state needs a moratorium on oil and
gas permits until it gets 50 percent royalties, he said.