[StBernard] ABANDONED

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 9 08:38:46 EST 2006

Peggy and Tracey and All,

Your concerns are valid and I agree that it doesn't seem fair. The fact of
the mitigation program is that it is a 75% - 25% cost share program. Local
government does not set the parameters of the program, but we have requested
that it be a 100% - 0% share. The issue about insurance being deducted is
not a local policy, but a standard part of the mitigation program. Remember
that the insurance deduction is for the structure only and the property is
negotiated separately in the calculation- while it does seem like the people
who did not have insurance get a bigger break, their getting anything does
not negatively affect the people who did get pay for and get insurance
benefits. Agree or disagree with the way FEMA sets up the program,
mitigation does offer people a way to get some benefit when there are few
other options- I have not heard of many people getting 75% of their
pre-storm property value right now. I encourage people who are wanting to
sell to sell their property if they are able to get above 75% pre-storm.
Also, the mitigation program is voluntary- if you chose not to participate
then the government can not force you to.

The fact is that there is an enormous balancing act between interpreting
what the Federal government is expecting in order to secure funding and
protecting the individual interests of the 25,000 homeowners. Many people
will be unhappy about proposals that come forward and I am hopeful that the
council and administration will have the fortitude to withstand the incoming
heat that will inevitably follow. I will release some of my proposed
thoughts soon and see what reaction we get. A major concern of mine is to
in some way protect us from the overabundance of housing stock that will
serve to undermine the integrity of the recovery effort. When you look at
the bigger picture of the need for Orleans to find housing stock and St.
Bernard having more homes than people returning and a disturbing trend of
sales fluctuating to some very low prices, there is the potential for a
disastrous outcome.

May God Bless Us All in this time of decision making,
Craig