[StBernard] Insurance Endorsement Decisions/Sticklers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 9 18:44:23 EST 2006

Laurie:

That's what State Farm did with us. When I called for instructions for
their endorsement, they told us:

If you are going to clean & rebuild, they would send you (3) checks in 1/3
increments. The 1st check would be to start renovations. An inspector
would come out (when/how long that would be is a good question - I guess
when you run out of money) and determine if the money from the 1st check
they sent you was on the up & up (so to speak), then they send you the 2nd
check. And inspector would come out again, same scenario as first - and the
last check would be forwarded. Can you imagine the time & effort all this
would take on each of their customers & inspectors! (We love St. Bernard
dearly, but we chose not to return - no matter what you do, you are still
under sea level. We are not young chicks, and I don't think we could go
thru this again.)

After hearing that, we told them that we are not rebuilding and want to pay
off the balance of the mortgage, so then they said oh, OK, just endorse your
check and send to us. You first had to send it to the East Coast address
and they in turn would send it to the West Coast offices for payoff. In
about 2 weeks, we received our money. Originally, they told us it would
take at least 30 days.

I did ask them though, if one was to rebuild, why send money due in 1/3
increments, why can't the full amount be given so residents can get on with
our lives - why does one have to accept this? Then we should have sent in
our payment of insurance in 1/3 increments. He didn't know what to say!

Pat & Jay

2112 Jean Lafitte Pkwy

Chalmette

Now relocated to River Ridge, LA -