[StBernard] Proposal -- What happens to the insured?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 10 00:39:19 EST 2006

Craig,
I have read your proposal and I believe that the only sane
approach for St. Bernard Parish is for the Parish to come up with a plan for
the location of permanent housing -- yours or something similar. However, I
have a question as to the proposed buy-out. Suppose a homeowner in
Buccaneer Villa North, north of Patricia (where you propose a golf course or
other green space) did the responsible thing and bought flood insurance
sufficient to cover the pre-hurricane value of his home. For example,
suppose the house was worth $250,000, the home was insured (flood insurance)
for $250,000, and the insurer (State Farm) paid the policy limit. As I
understand your proposal, there would be no buy-out available to this
homeowner, because the buy-out will be based on 75% or 100% of value, minus
insurance. What happens to that home? I don't think the government can
force that homeowner to donate his property to the Parish, when his
neighbors, who did not buy flood insurance, are being paid for their
property. If the buy-out is voluntary, and that homeowner is not going to
be paid anything for his property, he has no incentive to let his property
go to the golf course or the green space.
Ronnie