[StBernard] Archdiocese Properties

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 10 00:42:23 EST 2006

I understand that the Arch. of New Orleans was seriously underinsured and
has lost significant revenue from its dispersed parishioners, but in the
press release on the closings and "non-openings", there is no mention of
their intentions to clean up these properties, all of which are located in
residential neighborhoods. I would expect my Church to do the responsible
thing and step forward asap to clean up the church and school debris and
demolish, if unsalvagable, all the vast holdings in the Archdiocese that are
damaged. I would also expect that parish governments require non-profit
institutions to be responsible to the same degree as other property owners
for the safety, health and welfare of the public.

Hurricane season is a little more than 90 days away and the many sizeable
structures and debris at St. Mark for example, needs immediate clean-up.
Seems that the many volunteer groups of Catholics coming to help could
spend a few days at each property picking up the smaller stuff and doing
what they could. There should be some outpouring of effort from the
thousands of Catholics who are part of the Archdiocese of N.O. and were not
impacted by Katrina and those finished with their repairs to come forward
and volunteer their time to clean-up the other parishes, whether they are
being closed permanently, delayed from opening, or already opened.

I hope I am wrong on this, but I have not seen any call by the Archdiocese
of N O for a partnering of parishes. I am amazed at how churches from all
over the country are donating their time and talent and treasures to OLPS,
yet I haven't heard about a single other parish within our Archdiocese
wanting to adopt OLPS. I've been to mass at several churches in Metairie,
and have not seen any indication that they are even thinking of reaching out
to assist in the clean up of the devasted churches and schools elsewhere in
the Archdiocese. We are Church. Where are we, Church?

If anyone knows of anything in the works with regards to this, please share
what you know with the rest of us Catholics.

ddk