[StBernard] Levee board consolidation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 15 11:21:28 EST 2006

This is an excerpt from a Rueters news article named New Orleans hospital
reopens, wary of Mardi Gras byKim Dixon

"Although HCA used insurance money to rebuild, executives said they are
frustrated by local politics. They were discouraged by a recently scuttled
state plan to consolidate local levee boards, which they said were partly
responsible for the neglect to city levees which broke last August.
"We're outraged at the actions of our legislature," said Mel Lagarde, head
of HCA's regional office."

HCA is the group that runs Tulane Hospital. I have the same question about
what happend with the levee consolidation. It was one of the wisest pieces
of legislation top be brought forward, and it was brought forward by Gov.
Blanco and Sen. Walter Boasso. It made me angry to see it not pass in it's
full form. The legislatur e did some awful work here! And my next question
is.....why is St. Bernard's Lake Borgne levee district also absent from the
consolidation? Makes one wonder who decided that...........it would be nice
to have an answer.

Michelle