[StBernard] A real answer through HOW MUCH red tape?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 19 13:49:06 EST 2006

Tracey,

While I would agree, everyone is equal, I, however, must disagree in
this. You see, if a person who was renting a house lost all of their
possessions, they lost personal property. However, many of us lost real
property- my home, and I do not consider them equal. I know many people who
rented and received their FEMA alotted money, and it was no where near what
they lost, in which case I believe they could possibly apply for further
assistance through the state as well. Second, not to stereotype or anything
else, but logistcally, is a house on Guerra Dr. valued the same as one in
Corinne Estates? Would it be "fair" to give someone who owned a $40,000 home
$100,000 and someone who owned a $300,000 home $100,000? While I hate the
legislature for holding things up, I am torn in that I am hoping they are
doing this in the way of caution rather than stupidity. Let's face it, the
state has never seen this amount of money being thrown at it, and while the
immediate response is to jump. I am afraid that if the proper precautions
aren't in effect, could we face the fraud problems that FEMA is facing now-
18 $2000 checks issued to one person; People in "FEMA" rooms in Las Vegas
who never lived in New Orleans; etc., etc., etc.
Just to make a point, I was the one bleeding heart liberal and Democrat
on Senator Boasso's advisory committee prior to the hurricane. I do not want
to see the same ol' good ol' boy my family gets all the contracts to
continue and on the flip side, these people have the money to purchase the
equipment and supplies faster than those still waiting on insurance, so it
becomes a tightrope that should be walked carefully and not jumped on.

Wendy- freezing in the subzero temps in Maine