[StBernard] Home values

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 26 19:42:51 EST 2006

Jer,

How many times have you heard people say "I got my home assessed for less
than what I paid"? That is now going to come back and haunt a lot of folks.

The only hope will be if there is a way to contest the value the LRA says
your home was worth. At that point you may then be able to either get an
appraisal or, if your purchase was close enough, to show the actual amount
you paid for the house.

This is just another reason I am a big proponent of killing the homestead
exemption. It will help kill the power and corruption within the various
assessors offices. With a little luck, it will also help reduce taxes.

Remember, property taxes can be deducted from your federal Income tax, but
not sales taxes.

Westley