[StBernard] snakes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 26 19:49:22 EST 2006

I just want to remind people that as the weather begins to warm, we are

seeing baby snakes! The mommas and poppas greeted us in
September-mocassins,
copperheads, etc. Yesterday, I thought it was an earthworm in my garden,
but
realized that the slithering pink thing had an angular head and a
tapered tail,
certainly not an earthworm. I chopped it several times with the shovel.
Today,
one of the environmental cleanup women screamed because she saw one.
This one
was lslightly larger than mine, but clearly a snake as it went into a
strike position. It was soon killed. Granted, there is a house with a
pool
between these two incidents, but everyone needs to pay attention as the
snakes
become active, i.e. don't reach into debris or into a garden with hands.
Also, I
watch my dogs when they go in the backyard when I bring them to
Chalmette in
case they come upon a snake. Educate the kids about snakes if they never
had
them in the neighborhood before.

ddk