[StBernard] Mexicans

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 3 08:08:49 EST 2006

subject-mexicans
Thanks Sue, & lm, I'm just so sick of reading all these "mexican"
comments, as a PROUD Mexican American, it really hurts me to read comments
about people who are either working, or volunteering to help us out. I have
a cousin, a state senator in Texas, and let it be known that he was the
first Latin American state senator ever elected in Texas, the name, check
the history books, but my cousin watched his family suffer hits from Katrina
& Rita, both in Louisiana, and in Texas, a double whammy for most of us, so
he started a volunteer center in Houston, aiding families all over
Louisiana,and the help came in the form of monetary donations, food,
clothes, water, and volunteers,who came by the truckload to clean out our
streets,and make way , so that the fire trucks, entergy trucks, etc. could
restore service, save what could be saved, in fact he made it a point to
send additional aid to the very parishes his family members were from,
including our parish, so St. Bernard, whether it was known to them or not,
received help from the Latin American community ,more than we'll ever know.
How can we ask for help, in any form, and than judge the help that we get,
simply because of the color, or extra color on a person's skin?I'm not
naive, I'm a 32 year old woman, and I 'm actually thankful that growing up,
we were not rich people, my dad put 5 kids through catholic school, STS
PETER & PAUL, & HOLY ANGELS,so all our family money went to our education,
with not a penny to spare,so we didn't have much after that, and again, I'm
glad. The reason, we had to live in the ninth ward,oh God, some would say,
and even though it wasn't the greatest, or safest place to grow up, it
taught me that I was a person, not a spanish person, or white person or
black person, a person, since almost every race was represented in my
neighborhood, & when I chose to buy a home to raise my daughter in, we
bought in Arabi, so that we were in a safer environment, whle trying to
maintain the same type of multiculturalism. I am very proud to call myself a
Mexican American, as I'm proud to be the descendant of a great number of
respectable, hard working, men and women, people who will be there to help,
not terrorize, and rob....let's try to remember that....and as always, we're
in this together St. Bernard, all of us, and it should remain that
way........sdalon
missing mehle