[StBernard] Insurances and fortunate people

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 3 08:13:36 EST 2006

I'm sorry if I offend anyone when I say this but it's going the be said.

You lived in SE LA and didn't purchase flood insurance whether required or
not?

We didn't *have* to have it as we are in an area that is 3-6 ' above
sea-level, which is high cotton in the area. However, being prudent, my
father recognized the fact that it's a good thing when surrounded by levees
to hold back water, to have flood insurance. Now, my mom and I live in a
(what most folks consider), lower middle class area in Plantation Village.
It's probably what most folks would say is a starter home or maybe less.
However, it's been "home" for whatever reasons for more than 30 yrs. I
never got into the insurance questions until after he died 3 yrs ago.
However, ironically, this year I questioned our agent about the amt of flood
we were carrying and shouldn't we carry more. I was assured that we had
plent for the area, we never flooded, etc. Obviously I now reget not
raising the limits.

However, the point I'm trying to make is that even if your ins. agent says
it's not needed, think for yourself!

And for you Jerry...please get over state.la.us.stbernard or whatever. As
you said "where I reside..." Why aren't you back in the parish in a FEMA
trailer rebuilding? You constantly bitch, moan and complain, but are you
back? Do you intend to come back to St. Bernard? Exactly... WHAT IS YOUR
AGENDA?

For Rhonda or others w/out flood insurance I hope the money we maybe get
will enable you to rebuild, leave or whatever. As we had *some* insurance
and will rebuild, I'm more than okay with whatever offsets they want to do
since we did have the flood insurance so we can maybe get a grant or
whatever to rebuild since we were under-insured.

Jim