[StBernard] Lack of Catholic Pastoral Care

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 3 08:12:10 EST 2006

Well up here in AL, it's been the Southern Baptists that did a large number
of things. First Baptist of Gardendale gave us Wal-Mart gift cards for
clothing, etc. and food coupons for Fire Mountain, a buffet place here. I
believe they did outreach to all the hotels in Gardendale/Fultondale area
north of Birmingham.

However, I ran into a wonderful lady at the Walgreens here who was a member
of the Lutheran church in G'dale. They offered/served dinners many times at
their church, Good Shepherd. They understood my mom is housebound and I was
able to go there, enjoy their fellowship and eat and bring a plate back for
my mom. Definitely good people.

Have wanted to ask you about this Gaby...while at the hotel in Gardendale I
saw a number of different Lutheran groups coming through and staying the
night here before going on to Slidell. They were going down to work on
cleaning up/gutting-I-guess a Lutheran church in Slidell. Did you all get
any offers for assistance in cleaning up? There were a couple of times I
wanted to say "Hey, there's a Lutheran church in my parish; do they need any
help that you could provide?"

Also, yes many Germans are Lutheran, naturally. However, in the southern
part (I believe) of Germany there are many Catholics still. I have friends
in the Munich area who are Catholic, and of course, the Pope is from the
same area.

And, I knew a couple up here from LA at the hotel who went to Catholic
Charities here in B'ham and they got squat from them. Both had lost their
jobs, had 2 kids, their FEMA claims were in limbo. They were eating popcorn
from the vending machine in the hotel and heating in the microwave in their
room. I gave them our Fire Mountain coupons and they ate well for several
days until the husband's broth er came up to bring them back to LA. He had
arranged a trailer on his land and that's what they went back to, between
NOLA and BR. Haven't heard from them but trust they are well especially
since they are back around family.

Jim