[StBernard] land use

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 3 08:20:07 EST 2006

Rhonda,

While I would agree in some respect, I do not consider myself lucky, just
smart. I was not required to have flood either, but I did. In life you're
not required to have life insurance, but many do.While I knew most of the
parish had been previously safe from flood, WE all knew the "Big One" would
come...and all because I was smart enough to pay the mere $233 per year to
have flood, doesn't mean that I should be punished for those who CHOSE NOT
to have. It was your choice not to look into it, it was your choice not to
protect yourself, and it was choice not to invest in that protection. Over a
30 year mortgage lifetime, it would have been a $6000 investment, $6000 I
would have never missed if I never made a claim. I have heard of those
complaining about it not being escrowed, that's not so. I asked my mortgage
company to escrow it and they did. And, as to your $11,000 settlement...if
you are happy with that and have not fought for a better settlement if you
believe that it was unfair, then that is your choice as well. I for one have
fought, and fought hard, to ensure that I have received fair settlements for
not only my, but my boyfriend's home. And for just reference, I received
$15,000 more than you did on his home because of it, he had no flood either.
If you're smart, you get get a loan large enough to refinance your home
through SBA at the 2.5% interest rate, incorporate a large portion of your
repairs, and only pay what you have paid previously in one housenote. With a
lower interest rate, you would have more buying power- you could finance
200,000 and still pay the same as your current note at 5-7%. Hopefully, you
have invested the $233 for flood this year, otherwise you will have yet the
same problems next year in the event the patched levees fail. Fidelity is
currently writing but will be stopping shortly.

Wendy Hall