[StBernard] Lutherans assisting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 3 20:12:31 EST 2006

Oh yes, there are LDR - Lutheran Disaster Response teams at camps at Lamb of
God in Slidell, Hosanna in Mandeville, Christ the King in Kenner and at
Atonement Lutheran in Metairie. Groups have been repeatedly by our church
helping us as well as at Christ Lutheran , and also at several houses. In
fact my house and two more on my street were cleaned by Lutheran volunteers,
and several others from this list have been referred to them. Of course they
are volunteers who come down when they can and there never seem to be
enough. They are busy but some of the referrals are still waiting.

In addition, several Lutheran churches have sent loads of quilts, pillows,
food, blankets, paper products, pots pans, toys, school supplies etc which
was forwarded to St Bernard Unified, Kids Kampus returning daycare, and
yours truly delivering down the road to the people too far away from the
distribution centers.
So yes, we are receiving help as well as passing it on.

In fact, Pastor has been commuting back and forth between his family, our
church, and our dispersed members, and is arranging for further recovery,
supplies etc.
You should see a tent there soon, his trailer is almost hooked up (sewer
issues), and we hope to have service there soon, received Bibles, Hymnals,
choir robes, an organ etc from other Lutheran churches.

In addition, our rebuilding will include showers and a place for volunteers
so we can have a Local LDR camp (L for Lutheran, not Louisiana in this
case).

Those 2000 volunteers with Habitat for Humanity: Guess what. Thrivent
Financial for Lutherans teamed up with Habitat for Humanity and has many of
their Lutheran volunteers now working through Habitat in the parish.

Well, I also do NOT want to toot our (collective Lutheran) horn, but you
asked.
Yes, the Lutherans are strong in numbers in the north (as in Germany were
one was the religion ones duke/king had, therefore the northern Lutherans
and southern Catholics), and they are helping us as Lutherans are sparse
down here in the SOuth, and they have helped the parish already in many
ways.
Thanks for asking.

Gaby