[StBernard] Lack of Catholic Pastoral Care

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Mar 4 12:02:38 EST 2006

I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but did notice some disappointment
folks had with the Catholic Faith-based areas giving support to Katrina
Victims and I thought I'd add my six-bits:

I haven't run into that kind of non-action away from Louisiana. People have
been most kind. The Catholic Churches have given me $2000 in donations, etc.
and for Protestants, I received about $600.

It might be unique for me, but most faiths have been most generous to help
my family. Could it be that Louisiana's Catholics are less giving than away
from the state? I've lived in Louisiana for 60 years and it's been tough
getting anyone to help (even now with the Feds/Red Cross, etc.) as compared
with other states. Case in point: I've heard a relative get $1500 from Red
Cross and the most I've been able to get was $600 in assistance from them.

So, I suppose different geographical areas react with different policies and
varied generosities. But still, the Catholic faith can't be blamed for all
non-generosities.

Jer.