[StBernard] adults acting like a bunch of children

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 5 10:45:07 EST 2006

George,

Actually, it will all depend on how they do the math. I invite you to visit
a web page I created to help people understand what they could possible get
under the different options the LRA is looking at. The page can be viewed
at this address:
<"http://www.askwestley.com/LRAFormula.html">

I just did a quick calculation. With a home valued at $200,000 and
insurance proceeds of $180,000, under the LRA formula, you could expect a
grant of $20,000. It may not be all of the monies you paid for insurance,
but it is nearly 90% of it.

Remember, the two guiding principles behind the LRA's proposal: Keep people
in Louisiana and help them maintain the same level of housing they had
before the storm.

Everything is always in how you look at it. Although square-footage wise it
is the same, I feel like I'm downgrading. I'm moving from a $160,000 house
to a $130,000 house. Instead of city sewerage with a sidewalk, I now have a
septic tank and ditch in front of my house.

But, on the positive side, we are still in a good neighborhood, my kids are
going to good schools, and with the exception of some speed bumps along the
way, life is continuing on in much the same manner it was before the storm.

Given the circumstances it is hard to see how anyone can ask for much more
than that.

Yes, we still have a house in Chalmette to worry about, but it is just a
small worry. The longer it takes for the LRA to move forward and the less
funds it looks like I'll receive, the less chance I will take advantage of
it. My personal feeling is that if I have to take a hit, the bank will take
a hit also since they didn't work with me before the storm. If that means
foreclosure, so be it. I'm going to closing on a new house in two weeks and
don't expect to ever buy a new house again, so I don't give a rats ass about
what they put in my credit report.

Westley