[StBernard] Mexicans, etc.

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 5 10:50:50 EST 2006

May I suggest that we separate our fears of theft and personal injury from
any particular group of people? The news accounts of this M13 gang were
terrifying no matter what racial or cultural group comprises their members.
There were some very bad Vietnamese gangs in New Orleans East pre-Katrina
and there were some very bad gangs around of other races. Race is not the
issue here, violence and theft is the issue. I hope all bad gangs are gone
from the area for good!

But such a damaged area is a prime target for the human scavengers and
predators of the world. Everyone should be on the lookout for theives and
worse no matter what the color of their skin. Honest and caring people come
in all colors and cultures, just like the bad guys. Honest and hard working
Mexicans are probably more in danger of being underpaid and exploited than
we are of being injured by them.

I have come down to Da Parish to work on my Dad's house several times and
since our neighborhoods are not fully populated, it can be a little
unsettling to be working alone in your house though. So let's be vigilent
and look out for each other while being more open to genuine outside help,
whether paid or volunteered.

Penny Tassin