[StBernard] debris

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 5 21:33:31 EST 2006

OK Guys,

Here are the facts about cleaning up the debris.

Parish hires contractor to clean up debris- FEMA controls debris
reimbursement and approves debris coming into staging areas Parish submits
Project Worksheets for reimbursement as contractor submits bills FEMA
releases money to state State releases money to parish Parish pays
contractor

When the money is not released from the state, the contractor who is out
about 50 million dollars, doesn't get paid. The contractor starts not to be
able to pay the subs, the subs start not working and the debris pick up gets
really bogged down.

Even if the parish bought trucks and front end loaders to do the work
in-house (which is way to large of a job to take on internally) the debris
would still have to be approved by FEMA to get into the staging area.

Believe me the issue is addressed everyday- we understand that this could
stop the recovery process in its tracks. We were turned down when the
request was made to allow residens to carry their own debris to a storage
facility so even that is not allowed.

As far as the comparison to other areas, the debris being moved in St.
Bernard is still very comparable to the 9th ward and the east- although I am
not sure what significance that has- our challenge is still our challenge no
matter how good or bad we look compared to other areas.

I know this is frustrating, but it should be known what the process entails
so that there is an understanding what we are up against. We will keep
fighting until we get some resolution.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig