[StBernard] Grant/Buyout Question

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 6 11:57:26 EST 2006

Rena,

Yes, it would.

For others who have a similar situation keep in mind you probably don't want
to use an appraisal more than six months old. Why is this?

FIRST, there's a good chance the value of your property appreciated by a
couple/few percentage points some six to twelve months after the old
appraisal date.;

SECOND, here's what I stress to a lot of folks - when I appraise a property
for a bank or mortgage company I have to be "conservative" in my final value
because that's what lenders want. They want to be certain that even in a
conservative estimate value that it will still be more than what the
property is selling for. You can understand their position because they're
risking a lot of "their" money on your house. However, since I would now be
appraising a property for purposes unrelated to a loan, this sort of "frees"
me to give a value that is more typical of its "fair market value". In
other words, I'm more likely to come up with a higher value for your
property than the previous appraisal that was done for mortgage/loan
purposes.

Therefore, in a "buy out" offer if a new appraisal could show just $3,000
higher value, you're talking about a little more money in your pocket.
Imagine if a new appraisal could show a higher value, say $10,000 more than
the previous appraisal. Now you're talking big bucks.

- John Scurich