[StBernard] I still don't understand the plan and buy-out

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 16 13:07:42 EST 2006

Let's say I have a slab house in Buccaneer Villa North -- north of Patricia
-- that had flood insurance. The plan as presented Wednesday night says I
should not invest in repairing or rebuilding, because if and when I try to
sell, no subsequent purchaser will be able to get flood insurance, and
therefore no subsequent purchaser will be able to get financing to buy my
house. Essentially, I would be throwing away any investment in that house.
So repairing or tearing down and rebuilding on my lot is out. As for a
buy-out, if I was insured close to what the Parish or State believes my
house was worth, I can't be bought out because I won't get anything for my
property. My house is sitting there -- what are my options?

CK