[StBernard] Opt out of Class Action suit

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 16 23:34:03 EST 2006

Westley, ahhh...so you're saying (in your humbled opinion or IYHO), that
you would opt out of a "forced inclusion into the oil zone (not in the
Murphy Oil Map zone), and ASK Murphy if you're in the oil zone? This then
allows you to discuss things with Murphy, who tells you I'm NOT in their
mapped zone, and at the same time, I eliminated myself from the good Judge's
inclusively mapped area as an oil-spill victim. Now I get nothing since I
now would have opted out of both? <G>>

Now that I would have gotten my soil tested by professionals

1. I would have found out that my property tests positive, and I get my
attorney to sue independent from the class action.
2. I would have found out that my property tests negative, I'm out from
paying for a professional tester, out from the class action suit, and out
from a personal suit with my hired attorney (which I hope he only collects
on a contingency basis if he collects from Murphy at all).

Whew. Where do I get off the runaway bus...(eat your hear out,Sandra
Bullett.

=Jer=

Jer,

If you are inside of Murphy's map, go for option one. Which also means
finding out what kinf od offer Murphy is willing to make to you right now
without an attorney.

If you in Judge Fallon's map, but outside of Murphy's map, then you have a
different question to answer:
1) Do you hang on to the class-action and hope you get any money, whether or
not you actually had oil on your property?
2) Do you spend a few dollars to have your property tested yourself? If
positive, you should be able to easily find an attorney to represent you.
If negative, do you hand on as in number 1 above or do you opt-out and just
forget about the whole thing?

A not-so-expert opinion.

Westley