[StBernard] Neighborhood Stink

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Mar 18 18:14:50 EST 2006

John,

I understand the end result here is not pleasant, but I feel everyone needs
also to be understanding of a couple of things.

First, most homeowner have been led (or "mislead" depending on how you look
at it) to believe their debris, garbage, etc. was definitely going to be
picked up by a government agency (parish, FEMA or someone). Most people did
exactly as they were told to do.

Second, even if there wasn't a single government entity to do this, there
are many people who are without the financial or physical means of having it
hauled off. Many are displaced far away and simply don't have the
convenience of being able to come back to St. Bernard on a frequent basis to
address multiple problems they are facing - in addition to the trash and
debris.

Now, I do believe a deadline should be set, if it hasn't already, where
volunteers or anyone can go onto a property and begin hauling debris, trash
etc. without regard to belonging or personal property being "throw out" by
accident. Yes, at some point we do need to say enough time has passed and
we need to get moving - or hauling.

Until then, all I'm suggesting is we try to be just a little more
compassionate to those homeowners who might not be in a position to do
anything about it at the moment.

Thanks,
John Scurich