[StBernard] Duany meeting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Mar 18 18:15:58 EST 2006

> David,

I think that there are many who believe as you do.

I for one....believe that it is wonderful to come into the 21st century,
however, new isn't necessarily better.

There are many homes that are not shot-guns nor are they antebellums. Homes
built in the early 70's, 80's, etc., that are still standing and in very
good shape. I am not an engineer, however, there are many sound homes still
standing.... It would be foolish to destroy all of the homes that "they" are
proposing should be destroyed and or raised....How many years will it take
to have St. Bernard come back to even half of what it was...

The responsibility is on the ARMY CORPS of ENGINEERS NOT tax paying
citizens to PROTECT the land that was developed by money makers in areas
that were SUPPOSED to be PROTECTED IN THE FIRST PLACE... CLOSE THE MRGO,
BUILD A BIGGER & BETTER LEVEE SYSTEM...at the expense of the
GOVERNMENT....NOT THE TAX PAYING CITIZENS.....who LOST EVERYTHING....take
care to rebuild the WETLANDS that were DESTROYED by MRGO and over- building
in the first place...

I will continue to say this until the day I DIE....NOTHING LEARNED IN FORTY
YEARS!!!!

Not so long after the hurricane parish officials set a deadline for
homeowners to decide what they were going to do...and some people started to
rebuild only to be told to stop...for various reasons...because of the
lengthy wait and rumors..some people started rebuilding and stopped...the
parish cannot give anyone...any direct answers to questions...as to what is
going to happen and where...making it very difficult for some people to
decide..."they" don't have answers...but "they" want homeowners to have
decisions made....

We have learned this week that it seems as though the parish government has
wasted monies on cleanup...not getting the FREE help from FEMA...I know that
FEMA is a big PAIN...however why make the parish liable for even as much as
1% when the tax base is probably ZERO...when we could have had it for
free....

NOT WISE CHOICES MADE HERE!

NOW cleanup is at a stand still...neighborhoods are terrible...it is very
depressing...to see that..very little progress has been made...

mmm

> I also wholeheartedly agree, we lived on Marietta St. 35 hundred block

> for

> 26 years and never more than the street flooding slightly. I'm in the

> ranch style they want demolished and raised 4-5' that way when it

> happens again I will have 7 to 8' of water what a big difference.

> Believe me I am like many others, I have lived my whole life in St.

> Bernard and miss it but I don't want to go thru this again. I feel

> unless the levees are ARMORED with cement it will happen again. I plan to

gut and secure my home and see what