[StBernard] MRGO opinion

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 22 20:11:59 EST 2006

Since I was asked for an opinion about the MRGO here goes. This is
strictly my opinion and that of my husband who did work at the Corps
for nearly 20 years, but left there in 2004. This is what the civil
engineering family (our daughter is a sophomore in civil engr. at UNO)
talks about in our FEMA trailer.

The MRGO was hailed by the local business and elected people of
southeast LA as being an economic development that would bring
prosperity to the area. This is well-documented and I have read the
proceedings with my own eyes. Congress and the President approve money
and dictate what the Corps builds and doesn't build, maintains or
doesn't maintain, as we painfully witness these days and Congress did
what our own business leaders and elected officials asked for, actually
begged for.

In the 1950s era, there was no such thing as environmental assessments,
mitigation of wetlands, citizen advisory groups,nor public hearings
with common folks who were stakeholders. Back then, such public
hearings were media events to show support for projects, not a forum
for debate and opposing views. (As I said in an earlier posting, the
best thing that happened in the 1970s was the grassroots outcry against
the riverfront expressway going through the French Quarter.) No one
studied coastal zone erosion as they didn't study global warming. So
it's a WHO KNEW situation, like smoking causes lung cancer and DDT
kills bird eggs.

Fast forward to 2006. The channel has widened, the levees and banks
slide into the deep channel over time, dredging is continually required
due to this subsidence and after storms like Hurricane Georges that
push silt up the channel which does not have a current like the
Mississippi River, and saltwater intrusion via the channel killed the
coastal vegetation.

It has also been stated by many researchers (although a few dispute
this) that the rising level of our oceans due to the melting of polar
ice caps due to global warming is also changing our climate creating
stronger hurricanes as the temperatures of our oceans rise. Hard to
dispute when you see on tv chunks of glaciers falling off.

Furthermore, surveyors and geologists contend that our coastal lands
are settling into the water for a variety of reasons that I won't go
into here.

Combine the above three paragraphs, and here are our conclusions.

Our coastline is no longer the first line of defense when tidal surges
approach. The photos that compare the loss of land mass is shocking and
I wish I could attach the satellite images on this web posting. Bobby
Jindal referred to our wetlands as horizontal levees, because they
absorbed the energy of the rising water and were buffers that slowed it
down. The MRGO by contrast, is a clear, open path that non-government
engineers are contending allowed the rising water to pick up speed and
pound the first things they hit, the levees. Picture the difference
between the force that a bowling ball rolling on a slick lane hits the
pins to the force that a bowling ball rolling on thick grass would hit
the same pins. The lack of friction means the energy is not being
absorbed until it hits an obstruction like a levee or our houses.
Louisiana's hurricane levees were not designed for wave attack and thus
you see no armoring on the banks to protect them as you see on a
Mississippi River levee. They are designed for gradually rising water,
or shall we say used to be designed for that.

We agree that the lack of coastal wetlands, Lake Pontchartrain, and
Lake Borgne combined with the height of the tide of water that the
winds pushed into Louisiana are key factors and always will be, even if
the MRGO was filled in totally today whether it was filled with
Mississippi River sediment, Katrina debris, or the levees were knocked
down into the channel. We are always at the risk of flooding as is
Galveston, Mobile, Tampa, etc.

Research using computers and physical models can estimate the affect of
the MRGO in its present state compared to lessening its depth or
filling it entirely. However, we will probably learn more from actual
storms hitting the area before such analysis is completed. The
model/study that was being done by the Corps for several years on the
MRGO and corresponding levee heights was not completed when it was
originally supposed to be finished several years ago. Nita Hutter can
tell you how many times she asked the Corps about when the results
would be made public and the responses she received. The MRGO is a
pipeline to the Gulf and there is no disputing that. The bigger the
pipeline, i.e. deeper and wider the channel, the more the impact. Just
like the loss of so many miles of coastline allows so many more feet of
storm surge. The numbers vary depending on who is giving the
information.

In our opinion, we suffer a one/two/three punch, and punches one and
two are things that hurricane levees have not been designed for, but
should be. Because of the MRGO is a pipeline to the Gulf, well before
the storm approaches the water pushes up the MRGO. Why is this first
punch so bad? Because the hurricane levees are also not designed for
having water against them for a long time period of time the way a
Mississippi River levee is designed. So the levee soils are saturated
with water which weakens them for many hours before the second punch
comes. The second punch is the rush of Gulf water in the channel which
pounds the faces of the levees with such velocity because there is
nothing to slow it down and when it overtops the levee, the water
scours away the grass and soil and levees fail. The third punch is when
the water has flooded the entire coastline such that the water doesn't
even know that the MRGO or any other canal is underneath. The Corps
and others have to consider all three punches, not just the third
punch. Considering the third punch alone leads a person to say that
the MRGO didn't matter.

The Kellers