[StBernard] sales tax

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 28 19:58:52 EST 2006

It's so nice to hear cash registers ringing at Home Depot and the
local businesses that are back because of the importance of sales tax
to operate our sheriff's office, our school system, and our parish
government. Try to SHOP ST. BERNARD whenever possible.

On a related note, I was disappointed to hear a guy bragging on his
cellphone recently that he bought $10,000 worth of furniture (from a
St. Bernard business that I won't name in case he was lying) because he
paid cash and they agreed to not record the sales tax. I really hope
that the seller was simply discounting the furniture 9%, which is legal
and is sending $900 to the Sheriff's Office. To both the seller and the
buyer, I say, WHO ARE YOU REALLY STEALING FROM? YOURSELF. YOU ARE ST.
BERNARD. DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SLOW RECOVERY OF OUR SCHOOLS, OUR
POLICE AND FIRE PROTECTION, OUR GOVERNMENT SERVICES, ETC. WHEN YOU
DON'T PAY SALES TAX.

ddk