[StBernard] debris removal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 28 19:57:14 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: ddk120757 at aol.com [mailto:ddk120757 at aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 12:10 PM
To: westley at da-parish.com
Subject: debris removal

I just want to pose a thought for discussion. According to the T-P,
debris removal is 100% the cost of the federal government via FEMA
until June 30. So basically after the next 90 days or so, each parish
has to pay for 10% of the debris removal cost when it could be at no
cost if hauled away before then.

I see so few national businesses such as banks, restaurants, retail
outlets, etc. doing any gutting or demolition. Whenever they do, if
it's after June 30, will the parish have to pay for 10% of their
cleanup when it seems that either FEMA could have done it at no cost if
the owners would get going now, or their insurance company can foot
the whole billif debris removal is part of their insurance ?

Ditto for private churches, schools, country clubs, and the multitude
of small businesses. Although the small businesses are primarily just
tenants of some landlord and it's up to that property owner who may in
the same boat as a homeowner.

I understand and am sympathetic to the residential issues of
demo/rebuild or gut/repair, and the uncertainity of flood maps,
insurance claims, SBA, FEMA grants, LRA for homeowners.. But I don't
understand why, and I'll use examples, Bank One, McDonald's, Hibernia,
Regions, the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Bucanneer Villa Club, etc. are
NOT doing anything to their properties after SEVEN months. What and
when is the parish going to address them? Can the parish bill them
for the 10% share if they are counting on FEMA/ST. Bernard to dispose
of their debris?

Kenner and Jefferson Parish made it known well before the 100% FEMA
debris removal came for them, that debris not put out by a certain date
would be at the owner's expense. Besides the injustice of the parish
(us) having to pay 10% of their debris cost, there is the unjustice
that those of us who are returning and want to move forward in recovery
have to tolerate the blight of the large property owners who have made
little, if any progress.

If someone knows the status of this issue, please post.

Deborah Keller