[StBernard] Archdiocese

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 30 22:09:05 EST 2006

With all due respect to Fr. Mark, the financial practices of some churches
and the Archdiocese, have always been questioned by myself - church
rectories constantly being remodeled, some having nicer T.V. than most homes
- all paid for by parishoners. Yes, I do have inside knowledge about
finances of a certain church still operating in the parish. Don't try and
make it seem the Archdiocese is doing us a favor by lending or giving a
church parish money. As we've seen recently, the Archdiocese does what it
wants without reguard for its people - closing churches where it wants,
moving schools to more profitable areas. The Catholic Church is all about
the all mighty dollar. I think the Catholic Church should brush up on the
Ten Commandments. How many times do you have to sit through mass being
badgered because there aren't enough donations collected and that a
percentage of our income should go to the church. The church is to lead the
sheep but we don't need to be lead with blindfolds on. The archdiocese is
just looking out for themselves and not the people it is supposed to serve.

SRC

A note about offertory contributions. A recent post here stated that 'once
it's in the basket, it's the Archdiocese's'. That is not exactly true. Have
you ever wondered where the money comes from to run your parish? It doesn't
come from the archdiocese. It comes from your support. Each parish pays a
tax to the archdiocese to help run it, not the whole contribution.
By the way, do you think Our Lady of Prompt Succor School is operating at a
profit with only 50 students? Where do you think the money came from to open
this school?
It came from the other parishes that make up what we call 'The Archdiocese'.
The Archdiocese is made up of the people of the parishes. When you want
money from the 'Archdiocese', you are really asking for money from '
everyone else's parish'.
We all deposit our parish savings in 'central financing' and have an account
banked that belongs to the parish. When a parish borrows money or is given
money for some good work, it's from all the other parishes. Hope this clears
up the common errors about the finances of the Church frequently mentioned
in this forum.
God bless,
Fr.Mark