[StBernard] I ask, "What would a gypsy do?"

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 31 23:06:34 EST 2006

OK, I am staying in a FEMA-financed apartment in MS and staying in St. B on
weekends to restore my home because we still haven't gotten a trailer. I
just got a ticket from the MS police "for improper use of out of state
tags". (They claim if I reside somewhere for more than 30 days, I must
transer all my plates and registration to that state.) First of all, what
was he doing on private property snooping in my car. Second, I have never
stayed a consecutive 30 days in MS because I am constantly running back to
Saint Bernard and now preparing to move to Florida where I can be closer. I
am crushed at how low the police can go, but am also seeing the bigger
picture. With the 1,000's of MS evacuatees in LA, are they going to be hit
with the same brutality and will there be a feeding frenzy on evacuees of
both states, and to what state do we owe loyalty? I live in two places but
pay state income taxes to LA, pay 2 separate utility bills and consider
myself a resident of where I own my home, (St. Bernard). Can we not get a
temporary "visa" and be able to live free and die in my own country (last
time I checked, MS is part of the Union) and what happens when we leave for
Florida next month? And why is my husband, who lost his truck in Katrina
and bought one in MS with MS plates, not getting the same ticket for parking
in our private driveway in Saint Bernard? I and my other evacuee neighbors
in MS who also received these tickets are reeling at this hit below the belt
and wondering where to turn. Thanks for any guidance. Mudpie