[StBernard] Rising Tide

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 3 18:11:51 EDT 2006

Does anyone remember the book Rising Tide by John M. Barry?

It's about the 1927 Mississippi River flood. There's a chapter in the book
that describes how public officials in the state were convinced by those in
power in New Orleans that dynamiting the levee below New Orleans (in St.
Bernard and/or Plaquemines) would save the city from the massive flooding.

The levee was blown at Caernarvon and the entire lower portion of St.
Bernard was flooded along with much of Plaquemines. We were the sacrificial
lambs for the city of New Orleans despite the fact that time proved that
this action wasn't a necessity for the safety of the city.

It just makes me wonder with all of the talk of the COE needing more money
to complete the levee repairs whether we'll end up being sacrificed again???

Lmpescay918