[StBernard] abandoned property

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 3 18:15:07 EDT 2006

While I am totally understanding of the council's extending the deadline for
decision making to May 31, they need to be thinking of the welfare of those
who have returned, whether living in a trailer on the front lawn, or on the
second floor, regardless of if they are living in the parish 7 days a week
or 1 day a week.

There are many homes that the homeowners have turned their backs on and
abandoned their property and their neighbors. Pools are full of poisonous
snakes and mosquitoes, lawns have weeds three feet hight, food is still in
the homes, and mold is growing everywhere on the property. It seems as we
start our EIGHTH MONTH an owner can have the house guttted or sign up for
demolition, (and can at least sign up for volunteers to do it). It seems
that a person who cannot return to cut the weeds, can pay someone to mow it
down. Unless a disabled person has no friends or family or way to ask for
volunteer help, it seems that the trash left on the yards can be picked up
and put in a bag for pickup.

There are many people with the financial means and/or physical means to do
the above. Maybe it's because they have a sale pending, maybe it's because
they aren't ready to sign up for demo, but there just isn't any excuse for
not caring about those who are here and are trying to make our community
come back leaving their property this way as somebody (the parish, the
neighbors, the next buyer, or FEMA) to clean up.

I have a different opinion about people who for years would pick up a gum
wrapper if it blew on their lawn and cut their grass twice a week, yet throw
their discards out the door to be someone else's problem, just because govt
isn't slapping their hand to be considerate.

Craig-when can we see some enforcement of existing ordinances? I don't
understand, given how long ago the storm was, that we tolerate the way
properties have been left, knowing how many people have no hardship, either
financial or physical whatsoever.

I know Jesus left the 99 sheep to go after the one that strayed away, but
the 99 are wallowing in the mess of the one that strayed. It would have
been better actually, if they had never touched the house after the storm,
at least that way it would still be boarded up and the contents left inside
and not strewn all over after the neighborhood.

Anonymous