[StBernard] abandoned property

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 4 09:26:34 EDT 2006

I agree with everything that you have said, Wesley. I sympathize with those
of you who have returned and want their neighborhoods to be cleaned up, but
the fact is that most property is just going to sit "as is" until final
decisions are made on things like which areas are not recommended for
rebuilding, which areas will be subject to a buyout, how much homeowners
will be offered for a buyout, etc. My house is in BVN, and I simply don't
know yet what is going to happen with my property. If the Parish does not
want rebuilding in that area, then gutting is a waste of time and money. I
am not inclined to pay someone several thousand dollars to gut the house if
there is going to be little or no rebuilding in that area. I do not want to
put money into a house if I can never sell it because the buyer can't get
flood insurance. That would be throwing money away. I would rather invest
my money in a house that will hold its value. On the other hand, I may take
a buyout (and the house would be demolished), depending on what terms are
offered. For example, if they deduct my insurance proceeds (they don't know
yet if that will be the case), a buyout may offer me little or nothing in
the way of compensation. If the buyout doesn't come through, and if
rebuilding is allowed in that area, it may be worth it to gut and rebuild,
or gut and sell. I just don't know yet, and I am not willing to make a
purely emotional decision. I want to make a decision that is financially
sound for me and my family. All my options -- gutting, demolishing, or
rebuilding -- take time and money, and it doesn't make any sense for me to
start spending that money until I know what the final goal is. I think that
you won't see much action in some neighborhoods until the $4.2 billion comes
through for CBDG money comes through, the terms of payments are finalized,
and the rebuilding plan is finalized.

CK