[StBernard] abandoned property

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 4 11:59:55 EDT 2006

Bob,

I truly understand your point really, but you have to admit you can
understand anonymous' as well. I mean, these people are in the filth while
you are a few states away. I agree that the free gutting is a perfect
solution, so why haven't these people who haven't done a damned thing sign
up. It costs nothing, if the house has to be demolished, that's fine,
atleast the stuff is separated for pick up and progress is being made.
I do have something to say about the volunteers who came. These kids are
phenomenal. A crew from Samaritan's purse came to my house and in 9 hours
had everything but the A/c unit gone, my yard and all. To show my
appreciation, I had my parents (who happened to be in town visiting) drive
these kids some good ol' B&J crawfish and we had a boil in my driveway on
top of a piece of pool deck they pulled from my back yard. While we talked
and I showed them how to eat them, I was EXTREMELY disappointed to here that
in their week here, I was the only homeowner they had met. Now don't get me
wrong, I understand hardships, and distance- I am 1700 miles away in the
state of Maine (you know by CANADA). When they called to let me know my
house was up and they would start tomorrow, I said give me 48 hours I want
to be there and I was. I made sure I had water and drinks. In the morning I
brought them fresh hot donuts (they have only had dunkin doughnuts, and they
were amazed at how good fresh ones were), had drinks on ice, even if they
had their own, and surprised them with a taste of New Orleans. All and all,
it cost me about $250.00 and they were SOOOOOOO greatful because with all
their volunteering they hadn't had time to get around and taste what New
Orleans is known for and you still don't know what open and what's not. We
fed 3 other crews in the area that were gutting other homes as well and they
brought some back to camp to share with people in other areas. I ask
everyone, that if it is possible, be there. These people are coming to help
us, the least we can do is be there to say thank you. Some are bringing
videos back to recruit more volunteers. How can they if we're not there? I
mean just to say thanks, means the world to these kids. I drove my kids in a
day later just so they would know, how much they helped my family and so my
kids would know how to appreciate what was done. I almost felt ashamed as
they told me they had to leave what might be salvagable personal possessions
in homes because people never came. Like I said, 1700 miles and 3 months
pregnant with three kids, if I can, anyone can. Just my thoughts of course.

Wendy Hall
in 3 inches of snow in Maine