[StBernard] Governor's statement following the U.S. Senate's approval of supplemental appropriations request

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 4 23:16:08 EDT 2006

Governor's statement following the U.S. Senate's approval of supplemental
appropriations request

"The U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee today approved significant funds
for Louisiana's recovery, including an additional $4.2 billion in CDBG
housing funds dedicated to our state. I was privileged to be present in the
committee room when the President's supplement appropriations request was
considered and approved.

"Today's action, if approved by both houses of Congress, will allow us to
fully fund our housing program and will enable our citizens to rebuild,
repair or relocate. Today's action means that our families and communities
are much closer to having the assistance they desperately need to begin
restoring their homes and communities.

"In addition to funding our housing plan, the committee provided additional
funds for: levee construction and repair; assistance to help our colleges
and universities affected by the storms; funds to help our ports, our
farmers and our vital Gulf fisheries recover; and, funds for demonstration
projects for so-called 'Katrina cottages'.

"I want to thank President Bush and Chairman Don Powell for making this
request on our behalf. I am grateful to the committee's chairman, Thad
Cochran, and Senator Robert Byrd, and all members of the committee for their
efforts on our behalf. I extend my special thanks to Senator Mary Landrieu,
who fought so hard and effectively for our citizens during this process. I
know that she and Senator David Vitter will be an effective team for
Louisiana when this bill reaches the Senate floor after the Easter recess."

###