[StBernard] LRA Chairman's Statement on U.S. Senate Committee's Approval of an Additional $4.2 Billion in Hurric

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 4 23:20:09 EDT 2006

Louisiana Recovery Authority Chairman Norman Francis' Statement on U.S.
Senate Committee's Approval of an Additional $4.2 Billion in Hurricane
Recovery Assistance

"This is another important step toward returning our people to their homes.
We thank Senate Appropriations Chairman Thad Cochran and the rest of the
committee for giving hope to the hundreds of thousands of Louisiana
residents whose lives have been so impacted by these hurricanes.

We were able to demonstrate to President George W. Bush and Federal
Coordinator Donald Powell the need for additional assistance. We made a
careful review of each home and worked for weeks with the Bush
Administration before arriving at the $4.2 billion that the President
requested. We made the same case to members of Congress in recent weeks and
will do the same with many more members as we approach final consideration
of the supplemental appropriations bill.

Louisiana residents are ready to come home. We are doing our part to ensure
that they will return to a South Louisiana that is safer and better than
before. We thank President Bush, members of Congress and the American people
for believing in us and supporting our efforts to give the people of
Louisiana the help they deserve."

-end-