[StBernard] For Powers student crew, spring break will be spring hurricane cleanup time

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 6 20:49:05 EDT 2006

Editor's Note: The story mentions the students are selling plastic
bracelets that are so popular today to help fund their transportation costs
(about $450 per student). The bracelets are $3 each or 2 for $5.

I'd like to challenge everyone to purchase one or two bracelets to support
these kids. There isn't a lot of time before they will be in St. Bernard
and I think it would really show our gratitude if they could see St. Bernard
residents wearing their bracelets when they get here.

To help with shipping costs and logistics, I'll gather individual orders
from now through Sunday night and call the school Monday to place one big
order. Depending on how many are ordered, I'll see about getting them
over-nighted so we can start distributing them on Tuesday to anyone that is
within the metro-area.

We'll split the cost of shipping equally among everyone and payment can be
made when the bracelets are delivered.

------------------------
For Powers student crew, spring break will be spring hurricane cleanup time
MT. MORRIS TOWNSHIP
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, April 06, 2006
By George Jaksa
gjaksa at flintjournal.com . 810.766.6332

MT. MORRIS TWP. - Instead of heading for the beach in the sunny South or
just hanging out, at least 35 Powers Catholic High School students will
spend their spring break helping with hurricane cleanup.

They'll depart for Louisiana on April 16, Easter Sunday.

"If you go somewhere, you might as well go someplace you can help people,"
said Chris Krcmarik, 16, an 11th-grader from Grand Blanc Township.

Sophomore Susan Hamata, 15, of Flushing said that when she first heard Aug.
29 about Hurricane Katrina hitting the Gulf Coast, she wanted to go to help
the victims but realized her age was a drawback.

"I am glad I have been given the chance to go to help out," Susan said.

The students are excited about the prospect of spending a week clearing
homes of debris and preparing them for reconstruction in Chalmette, La.,
about 30 miles northeast of New Orleans.

Spanish teacher Courtney Cuttitta, 23, is excited, too. She lobbied Powers
administrators to get permission to lead the trip that will include five
chaperones.

"I am very excited," she said. "I guess I want to see how the kids respond
and how the devastation will affect them."

Cuttitta said a debriefing will be held daily when the students return to
their Federal Emergency Management Agency village in the evening.

"I don't know how some of them will react when they see a family album, for
instance, in all the destruction," the second-year Powers teacher said.

Students will leave Powers or a local parish on a private charter bus for a
22-hour trip.

Along the way, they will get prepared emotionally for what they will see.

They will be working with the National Relief Network of Greenville, Mich.,
which administers volunteer disaster relief programs. They have been told
tools will be supplied by Habitat for Humanity, Cuttitta said.

To help raise the $450-per-student cost, Powers is selling plastic bracelets
in school colors - orange and blue - similar to "Live Strong" bands
popularized by champion bicyclist Lance Armstrong. They sell for $3 each or
two for $5.

Students also are rounding up sponsors, and the school is accepting
donations.

Although the alternate spring break will be mostly work, the students will
get a break on the last day of their stay. They can spend the day
sightseeing or - yes - going to the beach.

***
QUICK TAKE
To help

For details on buying bracelets or helping Powers students pay for their
trip, call Powers High School, (810) 591-4741