[StBernard] damage assessment

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 16 10:50:31 EDT 2006

Jim,

It boils down to one of the problems with the language of the Stafford Act.
It is designed strictly to restore to pre-damaged condition.

The parish faces the same problem. All of the wastewater treatment plants
were damaged, so FEMA will help to restore them. Never mind the fact that
it would save $1 million or so to abandon all of the existing plants and
just build the new one that the council has been working on for the past
couple of years.

40 years ago when the Stafford Act was passed, I guess Congress just didn't
realize how much things would improve even though the US had just come out
of one the biggest innovation cycles we've ever had. Then again, when the
Stafford Act was passed, we were still recovering from Lyndon Johnson and
the Vietnam War.

Westley