[StBernard] Changing laws

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 18 21:07:58 EDT 2006

We would have to reach a consensus on how the law should change then
we
would need to lobby Congress to change it. Would need some PR from
the
press. And, as always, some funds to purchase ads, internet access,

I propose it to be changed that one can repair and rebuild WITH
changes/impromvements, yet FEMA/Insurance to pay the money it WOULD cost to
bring it back to pre-damage, maybe even add 'whichever is lower' as some
improvements (e.g. water plants rebuilding) may be cheaper.
however, this might be a problem for historic sites, as it is more costly to
restore them to pre-storm than to rebuild in a 'modern' way.
I am sure there are those who are skilled in writing such language.

Basically I wish the law would allow for the 'victims' to have a choice,
without being penalized financially to make improvements, and not to be
forced to stay in place, not be penalized for preparing with private
insurance, basically all the things that caused an uproar here and
everywhere in the parish need to be tweaked.

Gaby