[StBernard] ExxonMobil Donates $500, 000 To St. Bernard Parish Health Center

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 18 21:39:07 EDT 2006

Exxon Mobil Corporation Helps Bring Healthcare to St. Bernard Parish

Imagine injuring yourself while working to rebuild your hurricane damaged
home.and having no one to call for help. Soon, residents in St. Bernard
Parish won't have that concern. They'll have access to a medical care
facility within their parish, thanks to a generous donation by the Exxon
Mobil Corporation on behalf of Chalmette Refining.

Exxon Mobil Corporation has donated $500,000 to assist with the creation of
a St. Bernard Health Care Center that is scheduled to open in April. This
22,000 square foot facility will have capabilities that will help restore
much needed medical services to St. Bernard including an emergency room,
physician offices, laboratory, cat scan and X-ray equipment.

"We saw the immense need for this type of facility and know that available
healthcare is key to restoring the quality of life as the parish works to
rebuild." said Albert Stroink, plant manager for Chalmette Refining. "Along
with other basic services like water and electricity, St. Bernard residents
need to know that healthcare is available for them if they need it."

Before Hurricane Katrina, St. Bernard Parish was home to approximately
60,000 - 70,000 people. The current residential population is estimated at
between 8,000 - 10,000 people, with many more living in other parishes and
returning for rebuilding efforts during the day.

St. Bernard Health Center will be operated by the Franciscan Missionaries
of Our Lady Health System, Louisiana's largest health-care provider. The
St. Bernard Health Center is a series of trailers located next to the
Wal-Mart Supercenter. Officials expect to see more than 100 patients each
day, and think that number will continue to rise as more families return
home.

"Upon seeing the incredible devastation of the hurricanes in St. Bernard,
and with little other recovery sources immediately available, we felt a
moral obligation to help those families in need," said Dr. Redfield Bryan
of the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System. "We are so
grateful for the generosity of Exxon Mobil Corporation to help us assist
the medical needs of St. Bernard".